So playing with the NDK and SDK for Android is not as easy as it sounds. I am primarily a C# programmer so theoretically moving to Java should be peanuts – but it was not. Java sucks! And I had quite a time understanding and reading up on how to make this work. The new resources at developer.android.com were quite useful!
My motive was to reconstruct a very simple OCR app. With the help of Gautam’s article from ‘http://gaut.am/making-an-ocr-android-app-using-tesseract/‘ I was able to finally get the Android starter app with working Tesseract engine running. And interesting point would be that I got this working on both Ubuntu and Windows, though Windows is a bit harder to work with.
One final note – we have decided that the App will be called ‘Scope’, as in scoping out meaning from images. We are on the way! 🙂